Aaand that concludes my kits from 2013. Yagyuu Toshiyuki is my favorite sculptor, hands down. His figures are somewhat small in scale but they still have sharp details and I adore the way he does frills and hair. Remilia here is a 1/10 scale at best. I'm glad he picked up Touhou and hope he will release more. Apart from Remilia, he's done Youmu and Marisa so far. Go look at the reference pics of all of them, they are gorgeous. My version is a tad brighter than the original images but I think she still looks awesome. Painting her brick wall base was a new experience for me as I haven't tried drybrushing before. There's a lot of room for improvement but it's okay for a first try.
I figured I should write a few more words when posting a gallery. Given how many hours I spend building a kit, there must be something I can write about, right? And yet my mind goes blank each and every time. I keep having that problem when attempting to write something about pictures I draw. Most of the time it boils down to "I made that for person X. enjoy" but I keep trying.
Palette was one of those figures I've had my eyes on for a very very long time. I preordered her PVC, cancelled it again hoping it would drop in price one day. I loved the sculpt but disliked the paintwork which was a deal breaker for me. She didn't really end up in the bargain bin and then I forgot about her. Years later, I find a recast for sale in a garage kit forum, missed her because I pm'ed the seller too late and then bought her from the first buyer after a few months. I'm really happy that I was able to get her in the end and to make it even better, I got it as a garage kit and was able to paint it myself.
Time to get a few kits done before the year ends. Most of those that I will be posting over the next days are kits that have been lying around half-finished since August. Look forward to more
Another commission joins the gallery. Thanks to the patience of my commissioner, I was able to take my time with her. She looked so simple but gave me a lot of trouble because both cast and fitting were pretty bad. Even after I started painting, large gaps popped up and it took even longer. Yes, she's not perfect (but then again no figure ever is) but I think she turned out decently enough. It doesn't look like it but in fact she's super huge. She alone can fill an entire Detolf department with not much space left.
Another commission kit for a MFC member. I hope to have a few more up in the next months because I wasn't lazy and spent the last half a year sanding and preparing kits. Maybe then I can also get a few done for myself :'D. This kit is an awesome sculpt from the talented Kiking and I worked with an original figure for a change (I think there are no recasts of this one so it's pretty rare!). I love this figure so I was delighted when I was asked to paint her. Even if I can't keep her, I have a few pretty photos for my gallery so it's all good.
I can get kits done faster when the cast is good. It had its share of seamlines (big ones on her boots) and micro bubbles but the fitting was really really amazing. In hindsight, I would have gone crazy if the fitting wasn't perfect. There are so many parts that cross each other at some point, expecially her hair and just imagine the horror if the guitar strap was too short! In fact, I was so nervous when attaching her guitar strap because it was a super close fit.
You'd think she isn't that complex since you basically have to paint everything black, right? Too much black color doesn't do her layers of hair justice of which she had just so SO many. It's one of those things that are hard to capture in photos because it looks so flat but her hair is really impressive. So she got a dark purple shade instead of deep black. She doesn't look like Mio in the first place so you might as well add a little artistic freedom as the painter. It was fun building an amp and seeing all those parts slip into place was exciting. I also added white to my standard skin color since she appears very pale on the prototype pictures (and the original artwork).
The only thing that worries me is getting her safely to her owner. D: She's a fragile little thing. But nonetheless, enjoy the pictures!
After testing out various ways to make a Companion Cube design, I've finally found a method that I'm satisfied with. These are a bit more expensive than the Rubik's Cube ones since I need PE foil. The pattern is created using cutout PE decals and should not fade for many years! If you'd like one of these, please head to our shop.
I believe this must be the most complex kit I've worked on yet. These two girls are really heavy chunks of resin given the scale (1/6). They're only held together by a pin where their arms are interlocked (not glued) and I'm glad that it's sufficient. I've taken many pictures from it's progress so when I have time, I hope I can finish the GK building guide I'm working on.
There were many troubles with this kit and I've wrote the longest negative feedback at E2064. But now the kit's done and all I can do is try better next time. I like the colors very much though, so enjoy the pictures!
I like how T's System always releases GKs in 1/6 scale so they're usually really big. This Penguin girl however is only around 13 cm in height so she looks pretty good beside smaller scale figures. This kit was a pleasure to work with and that's why I finished her so fast. I also got to use Mr. Crystal Colors for the first time and I'm really impressed about the slight pearl shine that were applied on her jacket and the penguin (but these effects are hard to photograph).
No it's not the PVC from ALTER I actually always cry a little inside when a GK I've painted is released as a PVC figure. But this time it was because I couldn't afford the exclusive (and elusive) PVC so I decided to paint the GK version. Now she's being rereleased but oh well. I think mine didn't turn out that bad either